TotalEnergies’ ambition is to get to net-zero emissions by 2050, together with society, for its global business across its production and energy products used by its customers.
TotalEnergies takes 3 major steps towards achieving this ambition:
- Net-Zero across TotalEnergies’ worldwide operations by 2050 or sooner (Scopes 1 & 2).
- Net-Zero across all its production and energy products used by its customers in Europe by 2050 or sooner (Scopes 1, 2 & 3) with an interim commitment of 30% reduction of scope 3 emissions by 2030.
- 60% or more reduction in the average carbon intensity of energy products used worldwide by TotalEnergies customers by 2050, with intermediate steps of 15% by 2030 and 35% by 2040 (Scopes 1, 2 & 3).
This ambition is already in action as TotalEnergies has achieved a 6% reduction of this intensity since 2015, the best performance amongst the majors, developing the Group as a broad-energy company.
Moreover, TotalEnergies is committed to reducing its absolute worldwide scope 3 emissions by 2030.
As part of this ambition, TotalEnergies wants to be a leader in biofuels, both as a producer and as a retailer. Therefore, TotalEnergies announced in September 2020 that it will convert its Grandpuits oil refinery in France into a zero-crude platform.
By 2024, with an investment of more than 500 M€, the platform will focus on four new industrial activities:
- production of renewable diesel primarily intended for the aviation industry.
- production of bioplastics: PLA (poly lactic acid), biodegradable and recyclable.
- plastics recycling based on an innovative chemical recycling process, allowing the production of polymers with identical properties to virgin polymers.
- operation of two photovoltaic solar power plants.
Crude oil refining at the platform will be discontinued in 2021 and storage of petroleum products in 2023.